Please Note: we do our best to keep hours and admission fees of museums up to date, but they are frequently subject to change--especially at the small, not-for-profit museums which depend on volunteers for staffing. It is always a good idea to check times and prices before you make the trip.
Amerind Foundation Museum, Dragoon
This archaeological research foundation and museum displays artifacts of prehistoric American Indian cultures as well as historic exhibits of Plains Indian beadwork and costumes, masks, shields and weapons and children's toys. Southwestern arts and crafts items as well as books are available for purchase in the Museum Store.
The Amerind foundation museum is located at Dragoon, between Benson and Willcox. Take exit 318 off Interstate 10 and drive east one mile to the Amerind Foundation turnoff. Turn left at the entrance sign. The museum is open 10-4 seven days a week, except June through September, when the museum is closed Mondays and Tuesdays. Closed for all major holidays.
Admission fees: Adults,$8
Seniors (over 60), $7
Youths 12 to 18, $5
Children under 12 , Free
Discovery Center of Kartchner Caverns State Park
As an adjunct to the famous caverns, the 23,000 sq/ft Discovery Center features displays on cave dwellers, cave history and formation and a special display on the many attractions in Cochise County. Hours 7:30-6 daily. Closed Christmas Day.
Museum of the San Pedro Valley Arts & Historical Society,
242 S. San Pedro, S. San Pedro and 5th St., Benson
The San Pedro Valley Arts & Historical Society occupies a building built in 1923 for W.D. Martinez, a grocer. Today it houses an eclectic collection of memorabilia of life in early Arizona, including early grocery items, a roll top desk, several safes and an early optometric chair. The pot-bellied stove in the grocery store rode the Southern Pacific mail train for many years. Other items include numerous early photographs and payroll ledgers. The outdoor display features mining equipment and several metates and manos, and a Spanish millstone from Sinaba which probably was in use in 1600. This free museum also features changing art and crafts exhibits. Open 10-2 Tuesday-Saturday, May through July. Closed during the month of August, open 10-2 in September, and 10-4, October through April. Closed Sundays and Mondays.
Holy Trinity Monastery, St. David
Holy Trinity Monastery, located 9 miles south of Benson on Hwy 80, features a museum, book store, gallery, and Oriental garden in addition to a bird sanctuary with peaceful walks and shaded ponds.
Bisbee Mining & Historical Museum, 5 Copper Queen Plaza, Bisbee
(520) 432- 7071
The Bisbee Mining & Historical Museum highlights the area's hard-rock underground and open pit mining as well as the daily lives of miners and their families nearly a century ago. A new exhibit which opened in fall of 2006 presents realistic exhibits of what mining was like long ago and not so long ago in the Copper Queen and the Lavender Pit. Rock samples are displayed as well as an excellent collection of early photographs. An 18-gauge electric mine train and hoisting equipment are on display on the lawn in front of the 1897 museum building at 5 Copper Queen Plaza, which originally housed the offices of the Copper Queen Consolidated Mining Company. Open daily 10-4. Admission charge
Muheim Heritage House Museum, Bisbee
This example of late 19th-century architecture was the home of Joseph Muheim, a Swiss immigrant who began his Bisbee career as a brewer but soon turned to mining investments and real estate. The restored home on Youngblood Hill in Brewery Gulch features period furnishings and memorabilia. Open Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon, 10-4 or by appointment. 207 Youngblood Hill, donation requested.
Bisbee Restoration Association & Historical Society
37 Main Street, Historic District
Contact the Bisbee Chamber of Commerce for information:
31 Subway, (520) 432-5421
This museum is located in the old Fair Store Building. The Bisbee Restoration Association is a non-profit organization formed to re-capture Bisbee's history through the lives of its citizens.
Douglas-Williams Home, 10th St. & D Ave, Douglas
Built in 1909 by "Rawhide Jimmy" Douglas (son of Dr. James Douglas for whom the town was named), this building is now the home of the Douglas Historical Society. The building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1986, and funds from the State Legislature allowed the purchase of the house in 1988. It was developed as a museum and dedicated in May 1990. There are eight rooms on the main floor and five rooms upstairs. The original homesite included a carriage house, chicken house, stable and tack room. The house is now owned by the Arizona Historical Society and operated by the Douglas Historical Society for the preservation of the history of the Douglas/Agua Prieta community. The house is also home to the Cochise County Historical Society and a historical reference library. Admission is free. 10th St. and D Ave. Open 1-4, Tues, Wed, Thurs & Sat. Special tours are available upon request.
Slaughter Ranch Museum, east of Douglas
One-time Texas ranger and sometime Cochise County Sheriff John Slaughter forged a cattle empire on the former Spanish land grant of San Bernardino. The turn-of-the-century southwestern ranch house, situated among many artesian ponds, has been restored and is open to the public. The land surrounding the museum is a national wildlife preserve where many species of birds and other wildlife can be seen. The ranch is twenty miles east of Douglas. From Douglas, take 15th Street east. It becomes Geronimo Trail. Continue east on this road approximately 15 miles. The museum is open to the public Wed-Sun 10 -3 Admission $8/adult, children under 14 free
Note: Since Fort Huachuca is an active military installation, access may be limited when military actions are in progress. Two forms of picture identification are necessary to enter when a security alert is in force.
Fort Huachuca Museum & Annex, Fort Huachuca
Gift shop phone: (520) 458-4716
The Museum and Annex tell the story of the U.S. Army in the southwest, displaying uniforms of various periods, early equipment such as the heliograph and model rooms presenting the daily lives of the soldiers and their families. A special exhibit describes the service of Black soldiers from the Civil War to World War II. Hours weekdays, 9-4; weekends 1-4. Closed holidays. Ask for directions at the Main Gate of Fort Huachuca, Fry Blvd. and Highway 90. Free admission, $2 donation suggested.
U.S. Army Intelligence Museum, Fort Huachuca, SV
The U.S. Army Intelligence Museum on Fort Huachuca presents the evolution of intelligence-gathering activities in the U.S. Army. Hours Mon, Wed, Fri, 10-2. Ask for directions at the Main Gate of Fort Huachuca, Fry Blvd. and Highway 90. If you visit the Fort Huachuca Museum listed above first, as you should, you will find there easy directions to follow to get to the Intelligence museum. (Note: the Intelligence Museum is not always open when the Fort Huachuca Museum is open.) Free.
Henry F. Hauser Museum
Chronicling the history of Sierra Vista, Arizona
This museum, located in the Ethel Berger Center in Sierra Vista, is dedicated to preserving and displaying items of interest pertaining to history of human culture in the greater Sierra Vista area. A revolving exhibition of items from numerous local citizens and businesses brings the city's history to the entire community. The Ethel Berger Center is at 2950 E. Tacoma St, Sierra Vista, (520) 417-6980, ext. 560. Hours are 10am to 5pm, Monday through Friday; 10 am to 2 pm Saturday; closed Sundays and federal holidays. The museum is occasionally closed while new exhibits are being mounted. Call ahead to be sure it will be open when you're planning your visit.
Huachuca Art Association Gallery
3816 Astro Road, Hereford, AZ
Hours are Thurday through Sunday, 12 - 4 pm
The Huachuca Art Association's Gallery has fine art that would make a great gift for an art lover for any occasion. Member artists display both two- and three-dimensional work. The exhibit changes each month. There is also a good selection of framable prints and cards. The gallery/studio is located at 3816 Astro Street in Hereford, just south of Sierra Vista. Astro Street is about four miles south of Buffalo Soldier Trail off Highway 92. Hours are Thursdays through Sundays from noon to 4 pm. You can also arrange an appointment by calling Sue Thatcher at (520) 378-2000.
You can also see works by local artists at the HAA website's online gallery.
Located just a block from Historic Allen Street, the original Cochise County Courthouse is a stately red-brick building which houses the former state historic park, now managed by the City of Tombstone. The two-story building is filled with exhibits that depict not only the famous shoot-out between the Earps and the Clanton gang, but also the mining and ranching life which was the lifeblood of the young county. On the second floor is a complete, authentic 1880s Courtroom and a replica law office. A video re-enactment presented in the courtroom depicts the trial of William Cornell Greene for the murder of Jim Burnett, whom Greene held responsible for the death by drowning of his daughter and her young friend, Katie Corcoran. Admission charge. Open seven days a week, 9 am to 5 pm. Small gift shop offers books, souvenirs and memorabilia.
Bird Cage Theatre Museum
More than just a theater, the Bird Cage was open twenty-four hours a day for mischief and mayhem. Some 140 bullet holes were counted in the walls, but there was also on-stage entertainment ranging from French Can-Can dancers to nationally known vaudeville entertainers such as Eddie Foy and Lotta Crabtree. Admission charge: Adults, $5; Children, $4 (children under 7, free) 517 E Allen St.
Take highway 80 northwest from town to see this notorious landmark. There is also a gift and souvenir shop. Donation
Pioneer Home Museum
This museum was the home of miner Frank B. Garland, who emigrated from Cornwall, England, in the 1870s, and his wife and son. The home and its furnishings have been preserved to provide a glimpse into the lives of the hard-working men who went down the mines and wrested the silver out of the Tombstone hills. Admission charge.
Rose Tree Museum
In a building at 116 S. 4th which was originally offices and a boarding house, this museum contains a mineral collection, Tombstone memorabilia and antique household furnishings of the Macias family, long-time residents of Tombstone. Out in the patio can be seen the world's largest rose tree, a white Lady Banksia rose, which was planted in 1885 and has grown and bloomed ever since. It covers an area of over 8,000 square feet and is honored by a special town event every April when it puts forth its blossoms. Admission charge.
2 miles west of Tombstone
After a life of prospecting and "moving on," Al Schieffelin died in Oregon on May 14, 1896, still on the trail of the next big strike. In accordance with his wishes, his body was returned to Tombstone for burial and a monument in the form of a prospector's mining claim marker marks his grave. Free.
Tombstone Epitaph Newspaper Museum
This newsroom and print shop recalls the heyday of Tombstone with a display of historic editions of the town newspaper that reported the 1881 gunfight that took place almost next door to this office.Open daily.
Multimedia account of the Tombstone legend narrated by Vincent Price. Admission: $2.50. Free to children under 5 and school tours.
NEW! Faraway Ranch and Stafford Cabin pages
Amerind Foundation Museum, see Benson listing above
Chiricahua Regional Museum & Research Center
127 E. Maley, Willcox
This new museum contains artifacts of the Chiricahua Apache culture as well as frontier memorabilia and a rock collection.
Cochise Visitor Center
1500 N. Circle I Rd.
(520) 384-2272, (800) 200-7727
This visitor center welcomes you as you enter Arizona from the east. There is a large map of Cochise County accompanied by displays provided by various cities in the area. There is also a video display on the history of Willcox and the preservation and restoration of the Historic Railway Depot on Railroad Ave. The Willcox Chamber of Commerce and Agriculture, headquartered in this building, provides a free map and brochure describing a self-guided tour of historic Willcox. Information is also available on farm-fresh produce and birding spots. Books, maps and other materials are available for purchase.
The Rex Allen Arizona Cowboy Museum and Willcox Cowboy Hall of Fame
This museum is located at 155 N. Railroad Avenue, across from Railroad Park and the restored train depot and just around the corner from the Chiricahua Regional Museum. The Rex Allen Museum, which opened in 1989, honors Willcox native and favorite son, Rex Allen, who enjoyed a remarkable career as a "singing cowboy," on radio, television and in the movies. Later he was narrator for many Walt Disney films.The museum is located in the Historic Railroad District of WilIcox, in an adobe building built in the 1890s. The Willcox Cowboy Hall of Fame, located in the same building, pays tribute to the Arizona cattle industry and the hardy men and women who devoted their lives to it. Open 10-4. Admission charge.
Fort Bowie Visitor Center, Fort Bowie National Historic Site
The Fort Bowie Visitor Center offers more than just a spot to relax after the 1.5-mile hike to the ruins. Exhibits include a howitzer such as was used in the defense of the fort in the 1880s, military photos and memorabilia and an interactive computer presentation featuring plants, animals and the history of the area. Books dealing with the Apache Indians and the U.S. Army in the Southwest are available for purchase. Free.
Check out the Faraway Ranch and Stafford Cabin pages
Faraway Ranch and Stafford Cabin, Chiricahua National Monument
The grounds of the ranch and cabin homestead are open all year. A trail guide is available. Tours of the main house at Faraway Ranch, the picturesque pioneer homestead of Neil and Emma Erickson, offer a chance to learn about the lives of these Swedish immigrants. The Ericksons were one of the first European families to settle in the area. The house is furnished with historic artifacts which trace the development of 20th century technology even as they give us reminders of the way things used to be.
Frontier Relics Museum
The Frontier Relics Museum is owned and operated by Orville Mickens, who has organized and attractively displayed his extensive collection of historical items found in, around and under Arizona's old forts and ghost towns. The museum is in the almost ghost town of Dos Cabezas, fourteen miles southeast of Willcox on Highway 186.
Art galleries throughout the county feature a wide range of Native American, Mexican and modern American works, including ceramics, paintings, prints, metalwork, and jewelry. There are numerous galleries in both Bisbee and Tombstone, but there are also other small galleries and art studios scattered in various rural areas. Check the "Shopping" pages in the "Cities" section.